Launchers - GEO, GSO and MEO satellites - LEO satellites - Space vehicles
Saft has over 40 years’ experience in the design, development, manufacture and supply of onboard battery systems for satellites, launchers and other space vehicles. - For every project, we place a key emphasis on high performance and total reliability.
Saft’s global customers include prime contractors, telecoms operators and space agencies. These organizations value our complete mastery of all battery chemistries, whether primary and rechargeable. They also value our proven ability to develop new products and offer breakthrough technology.
Unrivalled space flight heritage
Saft’s primary space batteries are based on lithium technology. Rechargeable technologies include Ni-Cd, Ni-H2 and lithium-ion (Li-ion).
As the world leader in the space application of Li-ion batteries, Saft has achieved a number of notable ‘firsts’:
- AGILE – first LEO to be powered by space-qualified MP Li-ion batteries
- AVUM – first Li-ion batteries on the fourth stage of ESA’s Vega launch vehicle
- Calipso – first mini-LEO to be powered by Li-ion batteries
- GALILEO – first Li-ion batteries for a permanent MEO constellation
- Syracuse IIIA – first Li-ion batteries on a military GEO.